Your First Orthodontic Visit
Knowing what to expect after your first orthodontic appointment will help alleviate any anxiety or concerns you may have about treatment. Your orthodontic team will do what they can to help you feel at ease, such as answering all your questions and discussing possible financing options.
What happens at the initial appointment?
- Introductions: Getting braces for the first time can be daunting, so it’s important that proper introductions are made to help ease anxiety. You will meet with your orthodontic team; they will do everything they can to make sure you’re comfortable.
- Paperwork and health history: A team member will ask you to fill out paperwork regarding your relevant health history. It also informs your orthodontic team if you’ve had X-rays in the past or any previous oral issues you may have experienced.
- Exam and X-rays: During a thorough examination of your teeth, an orthodontic team member will use advanced 3D scanning, X-rays, and visual inspection. This helps them understand the unique needs of your teeth to build an effective treatment plan.
- Treatment plan: Generally, there may be a few orthodontic treatment options available to you. Together with your team, you will decide which plan works best for you. This can even be based on budget, predicted results, and treatment length.
- Patient questions: Once a treatment plan has been chosen, you will be given the floor to ask any and all questions. Your orthodontic team wants to make sure you have a solid understanding of what to expect in the next coming months, so questions are highly encouraged in order to address concerns and alleviate anxiety.
- Finances: A team member will review your insurance and discuss the payment options for your treatment. Some orthodontic offices offer flexible financing options or payment plans to help make costs more manageable.
- Your next appointment: Once your first appointment is completed, a team member will schedule your following appointment to put your treatment plan into action.